Thursday, January 15, 2009

Push Up Challenge

A friend recently asked me if I was going to take the 100 Push Up Challenge after bragging about increasing my daily push up reps of 1 set of 10 girlie push ups to 2 sets of 10 girlie push ups. I though, WOW, one-hundred pushups? Not when I was in my best swimming shape could I do that many in a row. I could do lots of repeated sets of ten during band or swim practice (and I mean the straight full-body MAN push ups!), but I don't think I've ever done more than 20 in a row. When I had my shoulder surgery in 2006 (to sew the tissue back on that I ripped away from my labrum while playing water polo in college), it was slooooow getting back into swimming and rebuilding any strength I had before. I was reduced to doing push ups on my knees. Like a girl. Ouch. Not that I haven't been good with my physical therapy since then, but I haven't gotten back up to par on that front. So. Here I am, challenged to do the challenge, and started this program on Monday. They have you do a pre-test to see at which level you should train, and I managed to "eek" out 5 real push ups before collapsing in a heap on the floor. Which meant that I needed to start out at the lowest level of training. For the first day, I did 14 non-consecutive push ups, and then 16 on the second. We'll see how tomorrow goes with the 22 scheduled push ups. This program is only 3 days a week, and takes up about 10 minutes of my morning. People, if I can do this, then so can you! Who's in?

2 comments:

Turi Becker said...

Ha! I'm there. I tested into week three, which I'll start next Monday. Should be fun...

Peter Lubbers said...

Hey, good stuff. I just finished week 4. It's a great program. Not sure if I will make it in just 2 more weeks, but it is pretty surprising how much you improve in a short time.