Monday, January 5, 2009

Off to a good start!

Yep, I've got about 12 miles under my belt for 2009. I drove to Donner Lake to meet Gretchen for a 5 mile run by the lake on Monday last week (not counting this for 2009, don't worry), and then 5 miles on the treadmill on Wednesday. Yesterday Kevin and I met with Gretchen and Team Library Dork for some track work at UNR, where we ran some moderate sprints (can I use that term? fast, but not all out) and lots and lots of bleachers. Those kill me! But I must not have worked on those hard enough because the only thing that was achy this morning was my lower back. Which is par for the course. However, this morning, since I have the day off, I thought I'd go check out the trails by my house after dropping the boys off at their bus stop. Frozen solid. Good way to break something, or at least start up a bobsled team. So instead I ran a loop around my neighborhood in the range of >6 miles. NOW I am sore. I ran up Mt. Rose Hwy to Thomas Creek, down Arrowcreek, across Wedge Pkwy and back up to my house. Letting my legs go as fast as they wanted down Arrowcreek Pkwy killed my quads! And my calves are sore now too. Here's a link to a map of my route. Whew! Good workout, but I gotta go stretch some more...

And for some final numbers:

In 2007, I ran 406 miles and walked 31 for a total of 437 miles on the road and treadmill.

In 2008, I ran 608 miles and walked 53 for a total of 660 miles on the road and treadmill.

That's almost exactly 200 more running miles, and 20 walking! (I should figure out 2006 sometime too~) I wonder what 2009 will bring...

3 comments:

Turi Becker said...

Yep, solid run there. Nice Job - way to start out the year!

Gretchen said...

Hooray! Thanks for letting me join you guys on the track. I was surprised not to be sore either. Hmmm...
Yes, what will 2009 bring, good question. A marathon maybe? I think you can do it if you want to.
Keep going Amber!

SnowLeopard said...

Hey, thanks for the support guys! I'd love to be able to train for a marathon, but I'm not sure it's in the cards this year. I'll have to see how school goes... :)