Monday, August 3, 2009

"Pedro and Me" by Judd Winick

Pedro and Me Pedro and Me by Judd Winick


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
“Pedro and Me” faces a very difficult topic: AIDS, and if this novel was told with actual pictures instead of drawings, it might have been too difficult for me to read. As an illustrator, Judd Winick did a marvelous job capturing facial expressions and emotions of the people in his life, maybe even better (in a more dramatic fashion) than a photograph could have. And at the same time, because they were illustrations and not photos, it made the story a more bearable one to read, and to connect with. As for the cover of “Pedro and Me,” I was left wondering who was pictured on the cover- Pedro or Judd. But I was grateful at the same time, to see an actual photograph of the lives I was precariously living through in this graphic novel.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: