Monday, August 3, 2009

"Cancer Vixen" by Marisa Acocella Marchetto

Cancer Vixen: A True Story Cancer Vixen: A True Story by Marisa Acocella Marchetto


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read “Cancer Vixen” which were very emotional read for me. It got me thinking about all of my family (my grandmother had breast cancer, but is in remission), and the prayers flowing! I had seen this book on the display at the library where I work for quite a while, but I was rather turned off by the cover art. Specifically, her face- her eyes and eyebrows looked mean, and did not at all scream, “Cancer Victim!” But after reading the book, the body language of her in a “falling-on-her-butt” position makes total sense- that the breast cancer she battled knocked her there, and out of the blue (even if I still didn’t like the eyes-on the cover only though). I pictured myself in Marisa's (beautiful designer) shoes, and wondered how I would stand up to this most ultimate of life tests? “Cancer Vixen” was great as an illustrated story, because I feel like I got to hear and see Marisa’s tale through her eyes and ears- this was a wonderful first-person account of a very personal and life-altering experience, and it didn’t need to be super graphic. The bright colors personified Marissa character for me, and I absolutely LOVED her shoes! (If I had the money to blow on shoes, and the personality to match them…) I think “Cancer Vixen” is a graphic novel every woman should read- to know what having cancer can be like, and as an inspiration to get regular mammograms, and know that this cancer is something you can survive! With spiked-heels!

View all my reviews >>

No comments: