Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Persepolis 1: The Story of a Childhood Persepolis 1: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was certainly an eye-opening experience of the Iranian War through the eyes of a child (the memories of a woman told as an adult). Marjane Satrapi's parents were very forward thinking people and resisted the oppressive leaders every step of the way. Many of their friends and family were tortured and killed for standing up for their beliefs, and I had to take a break half way through. The pictures are not not too graphic- but they get the point across in clear bold strokes. We have so many pre-conceived notions about countries in the middle east and why the women hide themselves behind the chadr, but now I know how some of them fought it and rebelled by showing strategic strands of hair and painting their nails. This black and white graphic is very powerful, and even though I did have to put it down for a little while, I still finished the book later that day. I recommend it to anyone interested in world culture and history.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: