Monday, July 13, 2009

Hot Cinnamon Rasin Bread

Quick Breads: 63 Recipes For Bakers In A Hurry Quick Breads: 63 Recipes For Bakers In A Hurry by Beatrice Ojakangas


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I found a new love of baking several years ago, partly due to the fact that most everyone I worked with at library were superb bakers (and tasting their creations were a heavy influence!), and partly due to one of the benefits of working in a library: checking in books! Many librarians would groan when reading this, but what better way to learn your collection than to check in/out and shelve all the materials? Not only was I exposed to the new popular books and videos, but on occasion a classic would pop up too. Such as Quick Breads~ this book immediately caught my eye when someone dropped it in the box. Number one, because of the work quick, and number two, because I love baking bread the most! I love slow rising breads; getting to punch down the dough and kneed it with my hands is soothing and therapeutic. After standing there with my mouth watering for several minutes while I scanned the recipes, I decided I need to check it out immediately. When I brought it home, I tried several of the recipes which were huge success for anyone near enough to get a taste before the breads were all gone. I went into a bit of a baking frenzy that summer. :) I then bought my own copy on Amazon for $5. Deal! Last night, I tried an old recipe that I had made several times: Hot Raisin Bread! (p.67) You are supposed to make a 9x9 inch square, rolled out to one inch high, and butter the top and sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mix over it before you bake it on a cookie sheet. One of the tastiest breads I've ever had hot right out of the oven! However, last night, I was in the mood for something a little more healthy, and more in loaf form. So I substituted one of the two cups for whole wheat flour, added cinnamon, and left off the buttery cinnamon topping. Then I baked it at 350 for about 25 minutes (it was a small loaf), and voila! Perfect to go with dinner instead of after. I was afraid it would be too dense because I switched flours, but it turned out very moist and not too thick. Yes, definitely heavier than your typical white bread, but is also quit a bit more satisfying.


View all my reviews.

No comments: