Monday, May 5, 2008

Reno's Rock-n-River Half Marathon

I did it! I did it without stopping, and I ran it under 2 hours! Whoo-hoo! This was the first annual Reno Rock-N-River Half Marathon. I wasn't able to train as regularly for this race as I'd like, and I've only run one other half marathon up at Tahoe last year to compare times with. But that course was drastically different with two pretty challenging hills in it, while this race had just a barely noticeable incline on the way out, and then that same decline back in. So I guestimated my time to be between 2:15 and 2:30. The day started out beautiful and sunny, and just a bit cool- perfect for a nice long run. I warmed-up the first few miles at about a 6.5 mph, and at mile 7 I decided to eat my gu since I'd been running with it in my hand this whole time (and I hate carrying things while I run!), even though I didn't feel like I needed it. However, about 10 steps later I got really tired and that entire mile I was hoping that it would kick in soon, and please please don't let the rest of the race be like this! It did, but took longer than I thought it would- mile 7 to 8 was pretty tough. After mile 8 I had to congratulate myself and got a little motivation by thinking how every step I now take is further than I have ever run before without stopping (I had to walk at mile 4 up the first hill at Tahoe, and then again at the second hill at mile 6). I picked up the pace and was running strong, and from miles 8 to 10 I started contemplating running a full marathon! But that was pure craziness- by the time I reached the 10 mile marker, I started to feel the miles catch up with me. I am very happy to say that I shattered my guestimate, although I have to give credit to my great friend Chris for pacing me the last 3ish miles. He paced Turi in from mile 8 to the finish (he ran at an impressive 1:33! Yeah Turi!) and then turned around and jogged back to find me and run with me back to the finish- and at a quicker clip than I would have done on my own. I might still have made it in under two hours, but maybe not. But the important thing is that I accomplished my goal to not stop. :) Overall, I had a great race, and then Yoga and sushi with the guys. It was a fantastic all around day- that is until both my knees swelled up, and I sat all evening with my feet elevated and frozen veggies rotated between them both...

1 comment:

Turi Becker said...

Nice job, dude. Sorry I couldn't get a picture of you at the finish; you were moving too fast for me... :)