Friday, May 23, 2008

Banana Gingerbread

Apparently this is a week for baking. While I still don't have the limes for the key lime pie Sean and Ashton have been begging me to make all week, I did have some overripe bananas I needed to do something with. I found this recipe on my favorite baking blog, Baking Bites.com called Banana Gingerbread. I've made this once before with Jessica, and she said it reminded her of Christmas because of all the spices in it. It's a pretty healthy recipe, calling for a cup of whole wheat flour and molasses and brown sugar for a sweetener (although I did half molasses and half agave nectar to lighten the flavor), and only 4 TBSP of oil. As far as banana bread goes, this is not a heavy dense loaf as they tend to be (especially when under baked!), but more like a cross between bread and cake. And super flavorful! I wanted to make a nice picture with the wild roses my boys picked for me this evening while it was baking, but found that I have no nice platters to put it on. Oh well. At least my counter is clean. :)

1 comment:

Turi Becker said...

Ooooh! That sounds really good. Bananas and ginger, not a combination I've thought of, but I'll have to give it a try...