Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moms On The Run 5K

What did I want for Mother's Day? Well, besides the beautiful books my boys made me, the flowers they planted, and the yummy breakfast Kevin made me? To run, of course! Today dawned a wonderful blue morning, and a lovely 55ish degree start temperature for the 9th Annual Moms on the Run. Perfect for a run, even if it did start to get a little warm by the finish. I didn't sign up early because I wasn't sure how my back would be feeling, so I got the generic bib with no number, and hence, I wasn't timed. (Except by me.) Dave, fellow Team Library Dork runner, did, and set a goal of around 25 minutes. Okay, I said, I'll run with you, but I might drop behind if I get tired. After a prayer by Mayer Cashell and a beautiful rendition of the Nation sung a capella by the Lorentzen Family (one of the final contestants on the CBS vocal comp, and local Sparks residents!), we were off! It was a crowded start, but the first half went by really quickly- I asked Dave if he wanted to run the 10K at the turn around, but he declined. I'm glad he did, because I could tell that I'm a bit out of shape because I've been missing my training because of various back/ankle pain, and some strange swelling in my limbs. (I have started swimming again though! The Carson Aquatic Facility has a great pool, and I love it!) On the way back in, I started to get a little warm, and had to concentrate on my breathing and the music blasting through my Shuffle. With only about 1/4 of a mile left I had to drop back behind Dave, but he only beat me by about 7 seconds in the end. He definitely set a faster clip than I would have run if I was by myself- Thanks Dave! I got a good workout, and it felt so good to be running again. I just don't feel right when I can't workout, and I was feeling a little depressed because I was starting to wonder if I'd ever feel well enough to run again.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

No comments: